[100% Unique Papers] Unconditional Positive Regard Expected
Code A.1.a. of the ACA Code of Ethics emphasizes that the primary responsibility of counselors is to respect the dignity and promote the welfare of the client. This could prove to be challenging if you see the world through a different lens. You risk experiencing countertransference if you cannot conceptualize your clients’ situation in a therapeutic context, aside from your personal beliefs
Imposing your own beliefs and expectations about sexuality onto your clients risks harming trust in the client-counselor relationship. If a client feels judgment instead of the unconditional positive regard expected of a professional, they may not continue with treatment, or worse, make poor decisions or pursue self-injurious behaviors.
Recommend strategies you can use in handling differing values and countertransference in sexuality counseling.
Write a 350- to 700-word paper in which you include the following:
- Identify the specific legal and ethical standards that require professionals to treat clients with differing values and beliefs.
- Explain analytic theory and the role of the unconscious in transference and countertransference in sexuality counseling.
- Explain how a counselor’s beliefs about sexuality can influence a client in the therapeutic relationship.
- Explain how you will implement strategies for working with clients who have differing values than your own.
Include a minimum 3 peer-reviewed sources.
Format your citations and references according to APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment.
- Center for Writing Excellence
- Reference and Citation Generator
- Grammar Assistance